Sunday, March 11, 2018

Wikipedia Trails: Susanoo to Yata no Kagami

Susanoo-no-Mikoto

After reading a story about Amaterasu and how she was scared out of Heaven by Susanoo (the original being a story that I read and intend to rewrite as well), I was interested in reading more about Susanoo. I was also interested in seeing if there was any additional information I could get for my own retelling. (Notably, it mentions that Susanoo drove her from heaven by destroying her rice fields, throwing a flayed pony at her loom, and killing one of her attendants.)

Amano-Iwato

Amano-Iwato is the "Heavenly Rock Cave" that Amaterasu hid herself in the same story I mentioned above. As above, I was interested to see if I could learn more about something that featured in the story I intend to rewrite, as well as to see if the cave held any more importance that I might be able to weave into my story. Apparently, there is a real cave that is considered to be the Amano-Iwato, which is a cave on one side of the Iwato River from a hall of worship named Nishihongu.

Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan

The article about Amano-Iwato mentioned that the mirror that Amaterasu was lured out of her cave with was the Yata no Kagami. I've heard of that mirror, but was not aware that it was the same as the golden mirror from this myth. Apparently, the mirror and jewels were what Uzume used to lure Amaterasu out of the cave, while the Kusanagi came from Yamata no Orochi's body. All three belonged to Amaterasu, the Kusanagi being an apology gift from Susanoo, and came down to Earth when Amaterasu sent her grandson down to Japan.

Yata_no_Kagami

The Yata no Kagami was actually the object I had gone to the previous page for, so when I saw that there was an individual article for it, I was interested in seeing if there was more about it specifically besides its identity as one of the Imperial Regalia. Unfortunately, it is a much shorter article and seems to have mostly the same information as the previous page.

No comments:

Post a Comment